While sequins, latex, and spandex make for realistic Halloween costumes, they call for specific washing techniques to preserve their lifelike qualities. Wondering how to clean Halloween costumes so they last for future fun? Though fabrics like polyester or nylon can be machine-washed, items with sequins or beads should be washed by hand. Learn how to wash Halloween costumes, wigs, and masks with these simple cleaning tips.
To Machine Wash or Not to Machine Wash: How to Clean Halloween Costumes
Can you put Halloween costumes in the washer if the tag says dry clean only? While some materials are suitable for hand or machine washing if the costume says do not wash it should only be dry cleaned. Follow this step-by-step guide for cleaning costumes that are safe for at-home care, as well as wigs and masks.
How to Clean Halloween Costumes
Knowing how to clean Halloween costumes largely depends on the type of fabric and materials. Polyester, nylon, acrylic, and lycra fabrics can be safely machine washed. Cleaning Halloween costume pieces with sequins, tulle or beads requires hand washing to prevent damage.
Follow these steps to machine wash Halloween costumes:
- Select a permanent press wash cycle with warm or cold water.
- Add a small amount of detergent and fabric softener to the washer’s designated dispensers.
- Place the costume in the washing machine. To avoid fabric damage, wash only one or two other items with the costume or none at all.
- Run the wash cycle to complete.
- Hang the costume to air dry.
Here’s how to clean Halloween costumes by hand:
- Fill a sink or small tub with cold water.
- Add a few drops of gentle detergent and fabric softener.
- Turn the costume inside out before placing it in the water and gently kneading it for 1 minute.
- Rinse with cold water to remove suds and residue. Avoid wringing to prevent fabric damage.
- Turn the costume right side out and hang to air dry.
How to Clean Wigs
Washing a wig takes minutes and, with the right techniques, can remove dirt and sweat while maintaining its original appearance.
Follow these steps to wash Halloween wig safely:
- Fill a sink or basin with cool water and add a small amount of shampoo.
- Place the wig in the water and allow it to soak for 5 minutes.
- Gently swirl the wig in the soapy water without rubbing the fibers together.
- Rinse under cool running water.
- Shake the wig to remove excess water. Avoid wringing.
- Place the wig on a towel or wig stand to air dry.
- Brush when completely dry.
How to Clean Masks
Latex masks are lifelike and long-lasting, but dirt, sweat, and makeup residue can eventually break down this durable material. Preserve your mask’s realistic appearance with the right cleaning methods after each use.
Here’s how to wash Halloween mask correctly:
- Rinse the mask with warm, soapy water.
- Use a clean cloth dipped in warm, soapy water to gently rub the inside of the mask.
- Allow ample time for air drying.
- Stuff the mask with paper and place in a sealed container or plastic bag, out of direct sunlight.